03 September 2014

A few 2001 journal entries: ref frames, forces

Later on, Sonday . . . . no, ain’t drunk or drinkin’ or gone crazy either.  11:57 ~ midnight.  April 23  (doin’ assignment in Stat. Mechanics).  So the thing einstein did, really, is to make a reference frame physically meaningless? (combination of question/exclamation).  The reason I mention this is that which reference frame is chosen is arbitrary.  If it’s arbitrary, in physics, it doesn’t have a physical significance.  Back to van der Waals stuff, friends.


12:55 a.m.  May 1 Tuesday/Belgium

Taking a break from doing HW—from trying to get started on some HW, really—I’d like to mention the possibility that in looking for a unified field theory, we are looking for the wrong thing.  Wanting to unify the forces of nature under one theoretical roof, or hold them up with one theoretical foundation, sounds very admirable.  Could we also consider the possibility that the forces are a mere façade, however?  Then where do we want to go with our theories of gravity, weak/em, strong forces?

Well, we want a causative description of motion, for one thing.  We observe attraction and repulsion, and want to explain them.  Unifying thus means describing the attraction-repulsion of the known forces with one theory.  “One theory” then seems to imply that there would then be one force, with different disguises.

I’m suggesting that “force” itself is a disguise for something else.  What else?  Einstein found curvature of spacetime gave the description of gravitational force.  So that is how the disguise works in that case.  To construct a “field” out of particles seems like a big step away from getting behind the disguise.  It seems like putting another level of disguise on the phenomena.  A better solution would be to not have the need for the particles, like general relativity has no need for a “force” once spacetime curvature is accepted.

Related to getting rid of the force, Luke, is getting rid of the force carrier.  What then is left?  Somehow we need to look beyond attraction/repulsion in order to answer that question.
The idea of inertia is a good starting point for thinking about a better way to describe observed motions—better than attraction/repulsion mindset.

So, how about starting with the idea I wrote down on the previous page—which reference frame is chosen is physically meaningless (a la Einsteiner), so first we just abolish the idea of reference frames.  Banish reference frames from the “force” discussion, see if forces can then be banished, too!


8:15 p.m. Sat. May 5, 2001   [page 45 in blue journal]

I’m about to catch up with the page number equal to my age.

After I wrote the previous entry, I realized that in Jeff Wilson’s class, when he mentioned one of us asking what the force was that kept fermions apart (I was the one who’d asked about it), that this case of “exclusion principle repulsion,” as Tipler (Modern Physics p. 289) puts it, is a case of a force acting without force carriers.  Either that or I misunderstood it.  Jeff Wilson was trying to explain why it was other forces or other sources of energy [other than the standard four] that caused the exclusion principle repulsion, but whatever he said didn’t convince me.  I plan to bring up the subject with him later.

Can I do formal physics for someone besides myself?  I have trouble latching onto the formal requirements of homework and tests, because I’m not really attracted to the sort of career that would result from being successful in the formal sense.  I’ve just been reading Walker Percy’s book The Second Coming and wondering if I could say, okay Walker Percy, I’ll do this for you.  Then I thought of Daddy, a Walker Percy fan himself.  Could I say to him I’ll do this for you and Walker Percy?


Saturday May 12

One of the conclusions I came to a few years ago was that, in the Einstein non-simultaneity experiment, the events are actually determined to by simultaneous by each observer, but are not simultaneous when each observer transforms [his measurement] to the other’s rest frame.  I was looking at this same issue on pages 12 and 13, and previous pages, in here.

The simultaneity issue is closely related to that other relativity issue I’ve been thinking about lately, how all reference frames must have the same standards but those quantities that aren’t Lorentz invariant don’t transform as “standards.”

Which brings up another question:  e and c are Lorentz invariants, but is G?  Oh, yeh, and is h?  They would seem to be, as they are taken as the fundamental constants, along with alpha, a measure of the strength of the EM force [equal to e2/ħc].

And from last Saturday, what are the force carriers that supposedly carry the “exchange force” causing the exclusion principle repulsion?  Haven’t seen J.W. at a good time to discuss the question again.