09 July 2011

Speaking of photos

Here are some recent ones from the Maui Minolta point and shoot-regular-35-mm-film camera.  I visited a restored Rosenwald School in Selma, Arkansas a couple of months ago, the purpose being a monthly meeting of Southeast Arkansas Economic Development District and its Regional Solid Waste District board, which administers Arkansas Department of Enviromental Quality recycling grants, which I depend on to keep the Recycling Center going.

I guess I'd heard of Rosenwald Schools, but don't recall when or where, and I'd never heard of Selma, except of course the one in Alabama.  Selma, Arkansas has about 150 residents and from the looks of the tiny town, it seemed more like ten. 


But it had a couple of old churches including this Methodist one (above) that dates to the 1880s.  The Rosenwald School building itself was built in the 1920s, and was restored, with the help of volunteer labor, a few years ago:



Edward Suber and Edward Suber Jr. were the most impressive people I met at the meeting.  Mr. Suber Sr. is a small man but he has I thought considerable charisma.  He's black, with somewhat graying but distinguished looking hair. He and his son were in the food line (a good lunch is always served at these meetings) in front of me. Earlier I'd seen him reading over a double-spaced manuscript, so I asked him if he was going to give a speech.  He pointed at his son--10 or 11 years old--and said, "No, he is."  And it was a super speech, about  the Rosenwald Schools.  And here's another story. On the backroads on my way to the meeting, I passed a cropduster just in the process of taking off parallel to the road.  The pilot was female, with a low-cut black blouse on!  I passed her, then she passed me as she took off.  Then she flew over me several times, disappearing over trees then coming back.  I was kind of worried about getting sprayed with herbicide, but there wasn't any spraying going on that I could see.  Then to top that off, on my way back to Pine Bluff, on different roads, I saw the same yellow plane again, and this time it seemed to be following me.  Why didn't I take a picture?  I was kind of afraid to.  I stopped once near a turn I was about to make, got out of the car with the camera, but didn't have the nerve or whatever to point it at the plane when it went by.  Then I got in the car and as the plane was coming back toward me, I turned on a road that was sheltered by trees on both sides.  I felt like I was being played around with, and it was sort of fun but sort of threatening, too.  The plane, a small yellow single engine plane, zoomed over me once while I was driving through the trees, then I didn't see it anymore.  Below, the inside of the Rosenwald School:


Speaking of Jews (Rosenwald), there are a lot of them buried in Pine Bluff's Bellwood Cemetery, where my ancestors and parents are buried (not in the large Jewish section, though) and where I take Jessie for a walk when I don't have time to go elsewhere.  Clouds and the entrance of the local Delta Kraft paper mill fill out this photo essay.