05 May 2011

Anti-Social Network, no aneurysm detected, light

I started an Anti-Social Network some months ago.  So far it's been very successful!  No one at all has signed up.

This very blog which you are reading by some set of unlikely circumstances or perhaps accidentally is rather anti-social itself.  No comments allowed for all to see and perhaps for some even to further comment upon.  "Send him an email, huh!" you say. "That  a-social a-hole, who'd bother?"  Ha.  One significant person is all I'm fishin' for.  Yep, statistics are against me (only out of many comments, procured by being widely read, says statistics, would you likely encounter that significant one).  But if someone likes his life like it is, why should he cast his net upon the statistical muddied waters?

I've also kept a journal for thirty years.  Compare that!  Not even available to be read by anybody.  Not until I publish parts of it, if I ever do.

My brother and his family in Birmingham & Tuscaloosa, from whence I received my current best friend, Jessie, are fine, thanks

Me too.  I actually imagined I possibly had an abdominable aortal aneurism, like Dr. Einstein did, but by a convoluted set of circumstances and in the end by no doing or asking on my part (3rd time was charm), I was checked via sonography for that ailment and others on Tuesday at my gastroenterologist's office, and was sent away with a clean bill of health.  No, he didn't do the test himself, like the MD giving the chest X-rays does in A Serious Man

What is light, or a better question would be how is light that we see generated, and what kind of properties does it have?  We get into statistics in answering those questions.  Spontaneous emission and stimulated emission (of light from atoms) are the ways it's generated.  But it's also scattered by "objects," meaning all the things we see that are not sources of light.  Light from the sun or from an incandescent or fluorescent lamp, or from this screen you're reading, is nearly all generated by spontaneous emission.  Laser light is almost all generated by stimulated emission (thus Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation is where it gets its name).  The statistics of "counting photons" in different types of light is what we will stumble into next time.  Oh, yes and also eventually the all-important concept of superposition in quantum mechanics and its role in Schroedinger's Cat and the EPR problem.

Back to my booth at the Pine Bluff Business Expo for now.  Peace.