15 January 2011

"Listen, O Israel..."

"Listen, O Israel, the God of Love and the God of Fear are one."  I like Then She Found Me, the Helen Hunt movie that, like A Serious Man, involves things Jewish, and from which this quotation comes.  It has some very funny parts but is quite serious overall, unlike A Serious Man.  But it's not a movie I've listed as one of my favorites, although that could change.  I keep updating the list as I remember movies I've seen and also as I see new ones or re-see old ones.  I saw Grand Hotel last night, for the first time, and it's now one of my favorites.

I also edit previous posts, such as I did to the January 5th one when I found the Laura Cunningham story that I'd actually cut out of the July 17, 1989 issue of The New Yorker. 

And on the subject of fear and love, and this being MLK's birthday, I recommend reading about Dr. King's visit to the 1958 Central High School graduation ceremony, as discussed in the book My Father Said Yes: A White Pastor in Little Rock School Integration, by Dunbar H. Ogden (Vanderbuilt U. Press, 2008).  Google Books' online preview provides instant access to most of the story.  MLK probably would not have come to Arkansas just to go to that ceremony, but he had come to Pine Bluff, 50 miles southeast of Little Rock, to give the commencement speech that year at the historically black college then called Agricultural, Mechanical, & Normal college, and now called the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff.